Saturday 11 January 2014

First of the Many

By using my usual basing system of 60mm x 40mm I reckoned that, to make it look good, I could have between 5 and 7 knights and followers on a base. Then I decided that, to start with at least, I would make each base a family or clan with the option to increase them to full 3 base units at some date in the future if necessary.

Now I find a glitch in the system. I cannot post the grammatically correct looking name of some of the clans because Blogger will only allow me to use English characters so apologies in advance to any and all Polish speakers who might tear their hair out at my pathetic attempts at the language. However, if you look closely at the clan name in the link it shows the correct rendition. Underneath each clan description I have supplied a link for those who wish to go to the Wikipedia page that supplied the coat of arms and most of the history of the clan.

So, here is the first unit of the army:


The first base on the left is of the Odrawaz Clan. They had lands in both the centre of the Poland just south of Lodz as well as lands in Red Ruthenia -the border country between  Poland and what is now the Ukraine, quite close to Przemysl and the Carpathain Mountains, and Lesser Poland. The capital of Lesser Poland was Krakow. Due to this geographical split it is possible that they could be represented at both the Battle of Chmielnik and any actions around Krakow.



 
The base in the centre is from the Korczak Clan.  Apparently, the charge is of Hungarian descent and the three lines represent three rivers, the Danube, the Tisza and the Sava. Most of the bearers of this emblem were from Red Ruthenia.   


The unit at the rear is the Debno Clan. I can find no knowledge about the clan apart from the fact that it existed, quite possibly in this form, at the time of the Mongol invasion. The notes on the heraldic page say that it is a modern interpretation and my take on this is the cross without the 'w' style of emblem in the lower right quadrant.




No comments: